Author Topic: Promoting OpenGoo. And OpenGoo on Wikipedia  (Read 4322 times)

justforkicks

• View Profile
    • Email
Promoting OpenGoo. And OpenGoo on Wikipedia
« on: September 23, 2008, 01:02:26 AM »
I heard about this definitive Office 2.0 conference and feel that OpenGoo should be represented here. Check it out http://www.office20.com/index.jspa

The good news is that the conference is a year away and by that time OpenGoo will be polished much more.

And I have also added OpenGoo to Wikipedia.org's Web Office (Office 2.0) page. Check it out http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Online_office_suite

« Last Edit: September 23, 2008, 02:04:05 AM by justforkicks »

conrado

• Administrator
  • Conrado
    • View Profile
    • Feng Office
    • Email
Re: Promoting OpenGoo. And OpenGoo on Wikipedia
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2008, 01:30:01 PM »
Hi justforkicks. Thank you for your great contributions!

I went to the Office 2.0 2007 edition. Almost made it to the 2008, but the team and I didn't feel ready to show off OpenGoo just yet. We are getting there, but it is still clearly beta.

Office 2.0 2007 was a lot of fun, met a lot of interesting people from all "competing" companies, and made some friends. It also convinced me we are on the right direction.

We definitely have to be on the 2009 edition!

On the Wikipedia article... that is great! I hope they don't remove it. Editing on Wikipedia is a harder work than it seems. I heleped define that article last year, and started a thread about the subject. But dealing with the editors takes a lot of time, so I lost interest. Only just recently I dared add the OpenGoo entry on Wikipedia. Now it's up to the community to improve it!  ;)
Get Official Support for your Feng Office. Support the development team. Sign up for a Free Trial here.

justforkicks

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2008, 01:54:23 AM »
We also need to reach out to more users (even in beta). Some ideas:-

1.) Tech Magazine CDs

2.) Get more links back to the OpenGoo site by having our community blog about OpenGoo

3.) Create a "virtual appliance" version that users can download and forget about installing Linux, Apache, MySQL, PHP, etc.

4.) Target users and verticals that are more inclined to use Open Source and don’t need the power/complexity of a Desktop Office suite (besides the cost). Gartner calls such users as “Structured Task Workers” (STW) as opposed to “Information Workers’. STW’s typically perform one task and only have occasional use of a productivity suite. Examples of STWs include: Bank tellers, Call center agents, Blue collar workers, etc. Another target could be industries that have high need of compliance. Example, Banking is highly regulated and has very high level of compliance and corporate governance needs. So they do not want data to be in spreadsheets that users can take away or modify. A server-controlled version (and in-premise unlike “hosted” offerings such as Google Docs or Zoho) is perfect fit for such companies. And finally, Emerging markets (such as India, China, Brazil, Russia, etc) are also extremely cost sensitive and hence perfect for using an Open Source (and Free) Productivity Suite.

conrado

• Administrator
  • Conrado
    • View Profile
    • Feng Office
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2008, 11:58:12 AM »
Great ideas and valuable feedback justforkicks!

Luckily, two weeks ago we begun to get some press, with several blog posts. But certainly, the more, the better. The best time to make a real effort will probably be version 1.0.

Version 0.9 deadline is next week (we will probably have a couple of release candidates to have the community help with testing). And then we hope to have version 1.0 in another month or so.

Another way to make the OpenGoo site more appealing could be to offer hosted service. We (Marcos, Ignacio and I) have been thinking of this for quite some time. The aim with version 1.0 is to have a good enough solution to do that. If the response is good enough it will most certainly be a great way to drive attention, and - very important - make some money to support further development.

Ideas 3 and 4 are very desirable. But those will take time, and I believe the focus now should be on delivering the current set of features (maybe add very few more) but have OpenGoo be top quality. Version 1.0 will be about that. Then, it's up to the community to drive further development with cool ideas like yours.
Get Official Support for your Feng Office. Support the development team. Sign up for a Free Trial here.

sent

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2008, 11:34:12 AM »
+ Extended the charts within http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Office_suite

conrado

• Administrator
  • Conrado
    • View Profile
    • Feng Office
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2008, 01:47:17 PM »
+ Extended the charts within http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Office_suite

Cool!

Updated the chart about features. OpenGoo has (advanced?) project management and collaboration features, a built in image viewer, and connects to MySQL.

anything
anything