Author Topic: Client account  (Read 3044 times)

Aage Krogh

• View Profile
    • Email
Client account
« on: February 13, 2011, 09:01:55 pm »
Can anybody advice on how to best set up FO to handle money being paid into your bank account in relation to a client, and which you then hold on behald of the client?

A practical example is a law firm, that has agreed with a client to initiate litigation. The law firm will ask the client to pay the court fee to it client account. Once the money have been received, the law firm will transfer the money to the court.

The question really boils down to this: Is it necessary to have accounting software "on the side" to handle stuff like this, or is there a way to set up FO to handle such transactions?

/ Aage

franponce87

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Client account
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2011, 11:35:33 am »
Hello, welcome to Feng Office Forums!

I am sorry but I am not able to understand what would you actually like to do with Feng Office...  if you are looking forward to keeping track of such transactions and such, yes, it may be useful, however, if you expect that Feng Office will automatically do the whole transaction.. that is not possible.

Please enlighten me a bit better.

Best regards,
Francisco
Would you like to install Feng Office Professional or Enterprise Edition in your servers? No problem! Read this article!

Aage Krogh

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2011, 04:11:47 pm »
Hi Francisco

I will try to explain further.

I am in a professional services firm - a law firm We have a need to keep track of a great number of e-mails, faxes, pdf's, regular mail (scanned) etc.

I can see that Feng Office offers a lot in that respect.

What we however also need is to be able to:

1. Invoice for our work, which we usually do on a monthly basis, often based on the time spent.

2. Keep track of any payments from clients, debtors etc.

Re.1: Invoices need to be registered in a financial system, and will then be registered as paid (done manually by our accountant), when paid. But I do not see any invoicing funtion in FO, only a function to report time spent, which of course is a helpful beginning to making the actual invoice.

Re. 2: "Physicaly", all payments of course go via our bank. The question is if we will be able to keep track of these transactions with FO, or of we will need to have a separate financial system (e.g. NAV) running. if so, this will to a certain extent mean keeping the same date up date in two separate programs, which we would like to avoid.

I tried the demo version og FO and assume that the idea would be to keep track of invoices and client transactions with workspaces. But how exactly?

i really like the layout and concept of FO, but I need to know if implementation means we do not need a separate financial system.

Hope this clarifies things. Hope to hear from you - or other users.

br
Aage

Charles

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2011, 05:09:40 pm »
Perhaps think about FO not as accounting system but activity logging system with excellent document control.

You could create workspaces for each case# with a child workspaces for:

* Client Documentation
* Court documentation (pleadings, filings, etc)
* Legal Briefs
* Research Documents
* Case Emails (exchanged with the client or others, internal or external)
* Outside Service Charge documents, etc.
* Billing

Under Billing, create additional child workspaces:

**Open (unpaid) Invoices
** Closed (paid) Invoices

Have bookkeeper upload scanned copies of invoices to the Invoice workspace. When payment comes in, bookkeeper scan a copy of the payment advice, check, whatever, and upload to closed invoices. Then bookkeeper matches the payment with the related invoice and drags/moves the paid invoice to closed invoice workspace.

Anyone with adequate permission to access various workspace may subscribe to the workspaces and get automatic notification of the activities.

There's no real benefit with respect to the bookkeeping.

But, for timekeeping and and associating emails and other documentation with the work performed, and keeping all related case documentation in one place? Now that could make ongoing and future review of case files, complete with billings, much more efficient and easier for your service professionals.

Don't know it that helps, but off the cuff, may give you some ideas.

Cheers,

Charles

Aage Krogh

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2011, 05:36:12 am »
Thanks Charles for your thorough explanation and good suggestions, that make perfectly sense in relation to how we also normally split things up in my firm.

It seems that the main (perhaps only) thing missing in this respecit is a function with which you can issue invoices, based on the time registered by the staff, and then (after invoicing) have that function flag all the marked time registrations as having been invoiced.

My guess is that such a funtion would benefit nearly all professional service firms using FO.

If that was included, then the only need for separate financial software would be for the actual bookkeeping software, which only the bookkeeper and the management needs access to, whereby you cut down on licensing costs.

Have a great day!
Aage

franponce87

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2011, 12:47:27 pm »
Hi Aage, about that feature you mention, I am afraid that right now Feng Office does not count with it. However, if you happen to get someone to develop it or if you would like to help sponsoring it (you may do this contacting sales@fengoffice.com), we would be happy to add it in our next release.

Best regards,
Francisco
Would you like to install Feng Office Professional or Enterprise Edition in your servers? No problem! Read this article!