Author Topic: shouldn't edit in a revision go to the document itself?  (Read 2690 times)

danem

• View Profile
    • Email
shouldn't edit in a revision go to the document itself?
« on: December 18, 2008, 03:27:54 pm »
I notice in a live document (HTML accessible with the editor), the only way to go to the document is to click "Edit This File" in the action menu. It seems like there should be something in that main revision list that allows you to do this. The only things that happen if I click Edit or the document name is A) Document Revision Comments or B) Document Download (not usually useful for most users if the download is an html file)

ignacio

• View Profile
Re: shouldn't edit in a revision go to the document itself?
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2008, 11:09:34 am »
I don't know if it would make sense to edit a previous revision. The purpose of revisions is to store the previous state of the document, and to be able to roll back to it.

danem

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: shouldn't edit in a revision go to the document itself?
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2008, 05:56:05 pm »
I guess what I was saying was that there seems to be a prominent EDIT link under each revision, and users seem to think this means they can edit the document by clicking that link, but what it means is to edit the revision note, not the document. It seems like the edit document/latest revision should be somewhere on the left hand side where a lot of the users seem to expect it.

*EDIT* said right when I meant left  ::)
« Last Edit: December 23, 2008, 06:02:54 pm by danem »