Author Topic: File syncronization  (Read 2438 times)

SamTzu

• View Profile
    • Sami Mattila's Official website
File syncronization
« on: January 23, 2012, 11:22:50 am »
I like Feng office but I see a real need for people to still use file synchronization. Unfortunately that's just the way it is. People will be using "Documents" (curse word) for years to come because Microsoft taught us to do so. So we still need to sync our Documents folder with the server. (&%¤/&%¤&3#)

Is there any easy way to change Feng to use folders in stead of Database for document storage?

================================

Sami Mattila
Internet-Content.europa SM OY

mmccarn

• Freshman
    • View Profile
Re: File syncronization
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2012, 12:40:18 pm »
You can easily reconfigure Feng to use a file system for file storage by going to:
Administration -> Configuration -> General

And setting:
File Storage -> 'File system'.

However, I don't think that feng document lists will automatically include new files added to the selected folder - I think you still need to upload files through Feng in order to create the associated meta-data records for each file in the database.

So, while you can make the change described above, I think it would then only be safe to expose the feng file storage folder in read-only mode.

Finally, the actual filenames stored in Feng are changed (presumably for increased security) to something that looks like "<FENGROOT>/upload/128/e07/5b1/dbeb003103b1b725ba51ce2d08a92a4", which is unlikely to mean much to your users.

The most promising option I know of is the 'WebDAV' capability that is possibly coming in v2.0 (search here in the forums for more info).