Author Topic: email  (Read 6542 times)

dj atrac

• View Profile
    • Email
email
« on: March 17, 2009, 04:11:58 pm »
hi, what about email attachments? when will it be possible? in the next release?

lg frank

conrado

• Administrator
  • Conrado
    • View Profile
    • Feng Office
    • Email
Re: email
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2009, 07:23:14 pm »
E-mail attachments is not supported yet, and not in the closest roadmap yet.

There are a number of reasons for this:
1. E-mail is hard. We need more resources in order to effectively address the e-mail module (We are working with Feng Office on an idea that might potentially improve this situation... News on this very soon).
2. E-mail attachments are not the best communication strategy. Attachments tend to get propagated while its versions don't get tracked (changes do not get logged). Sharing a document through the system is a much organized way of collaborating. For this reason, I would much rather stimulate the use of the "share" feature that we are working, than to send attachments.
Get Official Support for your Feng Office. Support the development team. Sign up for a Free Trial here.

dj atrac

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2009, 04:39:16 pm »
hi, email attachment is one of the most importet things by using email!
in colloboration it's clear document sharing is better. but how can you send invoices or some document to extern contacts???

lg frank

conrado

• Administrator
  • Conrado
    • View Profile
    • Feng Office
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2009, 12:21:28 pm »
I can think of two ways on which I would rather receive a document from a vendor, partner of client, instead of a .docx attachment or the like.  :P

1. A link to an opengoo installation (or another Web system for which I have access) where I can view the document without having to have any particular application installed on my desktop or accessing device.

Client access could be read only, or restricted to commenting on the document.

2. The document embedded on the message so I can see it right away (again, without any particular application needed... only my e-mail client).

On a side note: I don't like receiving invoices.  :D
Get Official Support for your Feng Office. Support the development team. Sign up for a Free Trial here.

dj atrac

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2009, 05:13:09 am »
hi, but for quick send a document you need attachments...
you can make it possible by admin settings, you can allow it or not...

but without email-attachments, most people say "this is not a praktical mail!!"

thanks frank

betty111111

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2009, 03:16:56 am »
I've been testing many solutions for collaboration recently.  I must say OpenGoo is my favorite...but impractical for a complete solution.

I can not deploy it because I want to be able to attach emails to a project, which means I need to use the built in Email client.   This is alright except now handling attachments makes it unusable.   

I don't see why it would be that complex.   When composing an email the attachment can remain separate and linked.   Then when firing it off to the SMTP server you can supply the file which will be "linked" to the email.

Anyways, based on my few hours of testing this is the best product out there that I've come across....but unusable due to the fact that it's not fully functionable yet.   :'(

robbrandt

• Freshman
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2009, 01:16:58 am »
I can think of two ways on which I would rather receive a document from a vendor, partner of client, instead of a .docx attachment or the like.  :P

1. A link to an opengoo installation (or another Web system for which I have access) where I can view the document without having to have any particular application installed on my desktop or accessing device.

Client access could be read only, or restricted to commenting on the document.

2. The document embedded on the message so I can see it right away (again, without any particular application needed... only my e-mail client).

On a side note: I don't like receiving invoices.  :D

I have to say that I understand your reluctance on attachments, as I've had to build a php emailing system and it was a royal PITA, and I don't think I did a good job.  I am highly resistant to using html in email as well.  But this is the real world in which people work.  Attachments are a must, both the send and receive.  I am the only "techie" in my organization and everyone else expects attachments and reject other solutions, except for highly versioned docs.

I downloaded and installed 1.4.2 today.  I am very impressed.  But what's the status of attachments today? (noting that this thread is 3 months old) I have imported some email from a pop account, and there is  an "attachment" link, that contains nothing.  I see no storage options for an attachment in the database.  Is it supposed to be working yet or not?

xdirewolfx

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2009, 12:58:34 am »
I love to see some imap integration whereby tasks update can be done by Cc say opengooadmin@yourhost.com
attachment to the email will be tight to the task as such.

sollericos

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2009, 05:27:00 am »

Hi all folks!

I've downloaded and installed opengoo on my PC for personal use and I've seen it could be a very usefull tool for my company (university) but now I've to send attachments with my local mail client (Evolution) due to a couple of reasons:

• The people expect to receive all the information INSIDE the email message, they don't like to do an extra action to download EVERY document linked to de message (it's not usable, ok they said it).
  • If the document is stored in the server (this is good if the document may change in the future)... What about the others attachments I don't like to stay in the server? When I can delete them? Is there any way to know if all the users I've send the link have downloaded the file? In my university there are thousend of users, so spending the space in temporary files that are not going to be accessed again is not what I spect. I'm spending storage for the files and network bandwidth every time the file is accessed.

I've discuss a lot of times with my coleages about the way we make programs, IMO people must NOT adapt to programs and services, they must be adapted to people's natural way of work. This is a key of success factor in any project (see the Wii console).

Actualy I'll use opengoo to link all the information I manage (task, files, notes...) this is a good tool for this, but I'll continue usin my Evolution mail client until the BETA version of the mail tool get improved.

Ciao.

Davidmex

• ICQ Messenger - 124436277
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - storage container moving compani
    • View Profile
    • Email
roxbury water company
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2022, 07:48:31 pm »
townandcountry org allstate annuity itt tech online programsremote desktop host pharmaceutical recruiters in nj cable or satelliteeye wash station mounting height verizon hacked r w plumbing phd nursing informatics which antidepressant is bestnetacad net drug and alcohol rehabilitation forexukindependent contractors insurancearizona state online degrees will vitamin d help lose weight credit for life experience best oil drain pan steel warehouse shelvingcustom vitamin manufacturer idemnity insurance web page design schoolsaddleback college registration best sponsor a child program dish packages channel listmovers in edison nj sliding electric gates virtual machine benefitshomemade irrigation system vpn usa server ucr graduate programsonline master of science in computer scienceswelling after juvederm append query american millennium insurance companychrysler dealer fort worthrembrandt commercial cleaning aplicor reviews roofing contractors san diego revlon hair removal tiffany luckcable services in my area atomic absorbtion spectroscopy fast web development vineland packaging catonsville commonsmanitoba university safety schools for a students elder care jacksonville fltankless hot water heater manufacturers sleep apnea medication provigil web hosting companies comparisonmanhatan mini storage teleconference calls ku eye clinic add alarm estate planning phoenix
fun kids drinksbell plumbing help quickbooks consumer credit couseling service plastic wrist band foods to cure prostate cancer bank loan home lasik portland risd continuing ed seattle air conditioning bison profab mq file transfer  a9a4399  illinois medicare part bstate dog of north carolina