Author Topic: Sticky Notes! (a true must for any project)  (Read 7137 times)

maever

• View Profile
Sticky Notes! (a true must for any project)
« on: January 30, 2009, 04:51:03 pm »
Opengoo carries an impressive amount of features.
The one thing I have been missing is the ability to have some static information available about the concerning project.

Real example:
Say we have a development workspace for a piece of software.
New developers do have a few things to learn about certain rules we uphold within this projects concerning client communication and programming conventions.

Currently there is no way to statify this in a big project (where many files and notes clutter the workspace).

What I suggest is the ability to make a note "stick" on top of all the other notes.
for example a note that says "Read First: Project Rules"!
(thus applying a sticky property to the note, so it appears on top of the note overview, above all non-stickied notes)

These sticky notes should also have priority position within the overview tab.

I feel this will greatly benefit the groupware concept.
Perhaps people could share similar scenarios where they would benefit from such a feature.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2009, 05:18:50 pm by maever »

conrado

• Administrator
  • Conrado
    • View Profile
    • Feng Office
    • Email
Re: Sticky Notes! (a true must for any project)
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2009, 02:46:17 pm »
We have identified the need as well.  ;)

We are still trying to figure out the best way to do it.

It could be achieved by:
  • Your suggestion
  • A new tab, similar to the notes, with restricted privileges
  • A new widget in the dashboard
  • A new tab, but looking more like a wiki/site builder/blog (A 'bliki')
  • Another way

Probably, each solution has its pros and cons...
Get Official Support for your Feng Office. Support the development team. Sign up for a Free Trial here.

rportinga

• View Profile
    • Bauer Bros. Construction, Inc.
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2009, 03:32:06 pm »
I'd say do it like forums do.. a check box option for "sticky" to mark a note as sticky.

When sorting the list of notes, search for and sort the sticky ones first, then non-sticky ones.

If you want to carry the feature set over, most forums have announcements which get listed with a higher priority than sticky posts do.
Rob Portinga
Bauer Bros. Construction, Inc.

maever

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2009, 04:37:06 pm »
@conrado
It is true that there are many ways to get this done.
I feel to have a good understanding at what you're aiming at, so i'll try to post suggestions in consideration of this.

I would not put too much thought into this feature and go with the easiest implementation, future (more complex) changes can always still be made.

I'd like to branch the original idea into 2 seperate ones.

1. Workspace overview

The Problem:
When browsing workspaces it is not instantly clear what a workspace  is intended for nor what it's purpose is within the project.

Suggested Solution:
A description message on the overview tab could assist in making the purpose of a workspace more clear. This message would be best placed above all other content within this tab and should be editable through the corresponding workspace properties tab.

Technical implementation:
A radio button with the option to show the description on the overview tab.

I am aware that there are other (more complex) ways to get this done, though this option already would suffice for most of us.

2. Sticky notes

The Problem:
Some notes contain static important information which deserves a more noticable presence within a workspace.

The solution:
Like in a real office desk situation, you could manually prioritize notes by placing the most important notes on top. The ability make certain notes "stick" on top so that they are more noticable would be an acceptable solution.

Technical implementation:
A checkbox to enable a note to be "sticky" and simply appear above all others in the note widget for as long as it is has a "stickied" status.
(similar to many forums).

again there might be more complex ways to get this done, but this would be rather easy feature to add and would already be sufficient for most of us.

Hope my suggestions are of some use.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2009, 04:41:05 pm by maever »

conrado

• Administrator
  • Conrado
    • View Profile
    • Feng Office
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2009, 11:24:40 pm »
Hi maever.

All suggestions (Well, maybe 99%) are useful, and certainly all are very welcome.

Let me share some good news:
1. Is already implemented, just as you mentioned it (will go live on version 1.3). There is already a way to display the description of a Workspace (Check on WS properties). But the way it is currently displayed is not pretty. You will love 1.3  ;D

Feature 2 makes a lot of sense. Something very similar to that might show up on a near future.  :)
Get Official Support for your Feng Office. Support the development team. Sign up for a Free Trial here.

maever

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2009, 03:44:55 pm »
I've been watching development on opengoo,
As you said, opengoo 1.3 does contain my first suggestion.

Though I still feel that my second suggestion could actually be quite beneficial for the small modification that it is. It would help keep things more organized from a groupware point of view.

Perhaps i'll look at it later myself.

conrado

• Administrator
  • Conrado
    • View Profile
    • Feng Office
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2009, 03:06:50 pm »
Though I still feel that my second suggestion could actually be quite beneficial for the small modification that it is.
I fully agree in that it would be beneficial. I do not agree in calling it a small modification (I try not to underestimate the cost of any task... specially if it is to be well done  ;) ).

Perhaps i'll look at it later myself.
That would be great! You will count with plenty of support.

cabeza

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Feng Office
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2009, 10:30:56 am »
We will be adding sticky notes to Sponsor a Feature soon.