Author Topic: sharing a document with another workspace  (Read 3777 times)

steveuj

• AOL Instant Messenger - steveuj2
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - steveuj
    • View Profile
    • Telchar Systems Inc
    • Email
sharing a document with another workspace
« on: January 23, 2010, 02:12:31 am »
just installed the system and like it a lot

I have set up an organization by creating a workspace for each department. As a Gov org most users do not have rights to other department workspaces with sub departments and the clients they are responsible for as sub workspaces to them.

There are some core documents which multiple departments need  to see.  I tried to link the document (as an object) to other workspaces (logged in as admin) but it does not link.  I do not want to duplicate the documents in each subworkspace. It seems that I also cannot upload the same document to a different workspace without renaming it.

The manual seems to say I can grant rights from the detail view but I cannot find the detail view for documents

How could achieve this goal?

Thanks, Steve

zarathustra.at

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: sharing a document with another workspace
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2010, 10:30:44 am »
Add a workspace "general" (or sth like that) where all users have access to.

steveuj

• View Profile
    • Telchar Systems Inc
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2010, 11:53:31 pm »
Thanks for the suggestion

That would partially work but then everyone would see the document and they would have to know where it was

e.g. with 10 dept workspaces I would have a document shared among 3 depts but not the other 7

Ideally it would be displayed in the documents list of each workspace

interjinn

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2010, 03:28:21 pm »
Isn't the correct action for linking a document to multiple workspaces to view the document list for the workspace... grab the 6 dots handle (looks like the 6 side of a dice) and drag it to the workspace? A popup should then come up asking you if you want to move it or link it... choosing "Keep Workspaces" should link it across workspaces.

chinzee

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2010, 10:36:26 pm »
Isn't the correct action for linking a document to multiple workspaces to view the document list for the workspace... grab the 6 dots handle (looks like the 6 side of a dice) and drag it to the workspace? A popup should then come up asking you if you want to move it or link it... choosing "Keep Workspaces" should link it across workspaces.
Finally, It did work! Thanx interjinn.

steveuj

• View Profile
    • Telchar Systems Inc
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2010, 12:15:06 am »
yes, it worked, thanks!  we tried dragging & dropping before but missed the 6 dots

we are still working on a File Link option similar to Web Link so data could be stored on the file server in a shared drive as an option to uploading