Author Topic: Group Interface, strange permission behaviour  (Read 2825 times)

negg

• View Profile
Group Interface, strange permission behaviour
« on: September 07, 2009, 12:09:42 pm »
I noticed some strange behaviors about the group interface and permissions:

- when a group has complete rights for a workspace the members seem to be able to do all they could if they were assigned individually via workspace->permissions. But there the rights are shown with a checkbox besides the user's name, but no checkboxes for "All", "Can read messages",... checkboxes. This suggests the user has not rights there (which is wrong).
I would suggest to NOT show any individual rights for the user in the workspace->permissions dialog, because this suggests the rights there overwrite the group rights or something else. I think the user's name should be mentioned there with a comment "Group rights from group XY apply for this user".

- when the checkbox beside the name of a group member in the workspace->permissions dialog is cleared the group is removed from the workspace completely, which is not what I expected. But I think it is wrong to show the user with rights here at all (see above) so this "error" would disappear automatically when the individual rights checkboxes are removed for group users in the workspace->permissions dialog.

- when a group has complete rights for a workspace the members can do all they could if they would be assigned individually, but they still don't show up in the modify subscriber interface.

So if this is intended I don't get the point :-) if it is not, maybe you could provide a quick hack that makes the permissions for group users in the workspace->permissions dialog identically (so that they show up in the subscribers dialog). Otherwise I would need to change a dozen of users in a dozen of projects out of the group back into individual assignment... :-(

interjinn

• View Profile
Re: Group Interface, strange permission behaviour
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2009, 05:09:55 am »
I have to say I find the permissions very confusing from the perspective of the workspace. For isntance I'm trying to control all permissions via group permissions. So I create a group and set the permissions... so good so far. I add a user to the group... so good so far. I check the users permissions and it shows nothing... so good so far. I check the permissions on the workspace and it lists permissions grouped by company, then by user with various checkmarks in unguessable locations. What I expect to see here is the group that has permission and what permissions that group has. Not anything to do with company, or anything to do with users. It could be helpful to click on a "View group users" link but mostly I think a list of groups should be presented and then a list of users. Each of these should be not expanded until an "expand" link is clicked to view the detailed permissions. Right now I don't know what I'd have to do in the workspace permissions form to change anything... or for that matter if I do click something what effect does it have? if I click a user checkbox what happens? What if I click a company checkbox? What if I click an individual permission. Finally, in version 1.5 the manual indicates that company permissions are ignored... and yet if I click on Administration -> Client Companies -> ACME  Permissions then I get a permissions form. If it's ignored what is the purpose of keeping it? It serves to confuse along with the company oriented view of permissions on the workspace itself. Anyways, not meaning to rant here... just indicating that I find the permissions system very very confusing. I'm not even sure what happens when I create a sub-workspace within a workspace... does it inherit the group/user permissions of the parent? I'm not sure from looking at the permissions form when I open it  :-*

Pet

• Global Moderator
  • Always mining for solutions!
    • View Profile
    • The Bet!
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2009, 04:17:18 pm »
I've found the permissions system needs to be presented with more clarity.  It has all the intentions of being a good flexible system, but implementing what you want is not easy.
Support OpenGoo - Sponsor a Feature! | Follow me on Twitter | OG Support Chat | Did you turn debugging on?

ignacio

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2009, 11:09:45 am »
I agree there are some issues with how permissions are shown to the user. But some particular issues you mention I think have been corrected for version 1.6. Check http://demo.opengoo.org and go to edit a workspace. You'll see that permissions are now set in the same way as permissions are set from the user's or group's point of view. It is still missing some way of knowing which group permissions affect which users.

Pet

• Global Moderator
  • Always mining for solutions!
    • View Profile
    • The Bet!
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2009, 03:34:48 pm »
Much better than before!
Support OpenGoo - Sponsor a Feature! | Follow me on Twitter | OG Support Chat | Did you turn debugging on?

interjinn

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2009, 06:41:45 pm »
Yes, this is great. Do you plan to remove the permissions interface from the Admin -> Clients interface?