Author Topic: email not working - how to debug this?  (Read 5020 times)

max

• View Profile
email not working - how to debug this?
« on: March 24, 2009, 06:52:33 pm »
I've just installed opengoo on a brand new ubuntu VirtualBox.
I am not certain that my apache2 or PHP are set up properly.
I can connect to the ubuntu VM from outside, and of course I can access the web from ubuntu.

OGOO installation went super-smooth and everything seems to work except mail sending:

1) Using the test mailer gives me "failed to send test message" (now wouldn't you just love a longer answer here). I have triple-checked the global mail settings.

2) using the email app i *can* send emails, but when i try to get new mail (via IMAP) theres always "email retrieval complete: 0 emails received" although there should be 7976 emails in that inbox.

log.php tells me no errors when i try 1).
when i try 2) (get imap emails) I get

Session "default" started at 2009-03-24T21:40:56+0000
#1 ERROR: Error: fsockopen() [<a href='function.fsockopen'>function.fsockopen</a>]: unable to connect to tcp://mail.meso.net:0 (Failed to parse address &quot;mail.meso.net&quot;) in '/var/www/opengoo/library/PEAR/Net/Socket.php' on line 138 (error code: 2)

(192.168.1.7 is our local mail server. ubuntu can ping it.)

any ideas? where else can I look for errors regarding 1) ?

ignacio

• View Profile
Re: email not working - how to debug this?
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2009, 05:52:35 pm »
1) Not sure what can be the problem. Tried using Default PHP settings? Did you put te IP address as the mail server?

2) What about using POP3? Is that an option? Does it work for you?

ignacio

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2009, 09:57:32 am »
Hi, the problem with IMAP has been solved on version 1.3.1

max

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2009, 06:48:35 pm »
well,
some things have improved. e.g., I can now select the folders to sync under email actions-> edit account.
But I have about 8000 mails in my inbox main folder. of these, only the 8 oldest have been synced, and they're displayed as unread, which isn't the case in my other mailers.
after that, nothing. Then when I send a test mail, it appears on top of the list.
I'll keep an eye on it whether it does receive all future mails or not, and keep you posted.

maybe this bit from the cache/php.log helps:

Session "default" started at 2009-03-29T21:35:33+0000
#1 ERROR: Error: Uninitialized string offset:  3 in '/var/www/opengoo/library/PEAR/Net/IMAPProtocol.php' on lin$
#2 ERROR: Error: Uninitialized string offset:  3 in '/var/www/opengoo/library/PEAR/Net/IMAPProtocol.php' on lin$
#3 ERROR: Error: Uninitialized string offset:  3 in '/var/www/opengoo/library/PEAR/Net/IMAPProtocol.php' on lin$
Time since start: 1.30620193481 seconds
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Session "default" started at 2009-03-29T21:36:31+0000
#1 ERROR: Error: Uninitialized string offset:  3 in '/var/www/opengoo/library/PEAR/Net/IMAPProtocol.php' on lin$
#2 ERROR: Error: Uninitialized string offset:  3 in '/var/www/opengoo/library/PEAR/Net/IMAPProtocol.php' on lin$
#3 ERROR: Error: Uninitialized string offset:  3 in '/var/www/opengoo/library/PEAR/Net/IMAPProtocol.php' on lin$
#4 ERROR: Error: iconv() [<a href='function.iconv'>function.iconv</a>]: Detected an illegal character in input $
#5 ERROR: Error: iconv() [<a href='function.iconv'>function.iconv</a>]: Detected an illegal character in input $
Time since start: 1.84622502327 seconds
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

max

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2009, 07:37:16 pm »
Some more on my initial problem of not being able to send emails:
* sending mails from my mail account works when using the email (BETA) application with in OGOO.
* but the mail tester from the admin controls - and the mass mailer - still gives me

failed to send test message
on the exact same account info.
it may be woth noting that when i enter an invalid email account, or an invalid password, the error message is
Notifier has failed to construct mailer object
which is not a helpful error message. that could be much clearer.
using a googlemail account instead of my locally hosted one didn't help either.

where should i look?

max

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2009, 08:26:47 pm »
needless to add, i am trying to use SMTP Server for the Mail transport, with the same settings as in the email (beta) app.
There is currently no sendmail configured on this server.