Author Topic: Printing and Reports.  (Read 3879 times)

Slartibardfast

• Freshman
    • View Profile
    • Email
Printing and Reports.
« on: May 01, 2013, 06:28:03 pm »
Not necessarily the same, but related.

Although I have not explored every facility Feng Office has to offer, so far all the Print and Report functions are based on tabled lists; a spreadsheet approach if you like.

These are of course very useful, but severely limited when it comes to single record printing or reporting.  For example, take a single Task, with all the related information (including ay Custom Fields).

It would be useful to be able to print or design a print or report more as a Form than  a List.

I am not sure what the best approach from the software development point of view, and I am not sure how practical this suggestion would be, but thinking along these lines:

Have an HTML/TEXT based file used as the Master or Template for a custom designed display/print.  This means that many people would be able to create their own designs using simple tools only needing moderate experience.

Included in the Master or Template would be specific structures, we may call Plugins, but the name does not matter.

A Plugin would be used to pull specific data from the Feng Office Database, so in principle any Field could have the data in it rendered onto a Form or Report.

Obviously, there has to be some control and logic to allow sensible rendering, as the Code to formulate what Fields from What Records of What Tables is beyond the scope of simple user generated Templates.

It's a tall order I realise, so I don't expect miracles!  8)

Slartibardfast

• Freshman
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Printing and Reports.
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2013, 06:37:21 pm »
In the short term, any chance of having a better single Item Print, such as a Task, populated with more of the Data rather than the very limited offering at the moment?  The icing on the cake would be having an option on what would or would not be printed, but to start with everything (within sensible limits)  :)

BradaStephen

• View Profile
    • html5 charts
    • Email
Re: Printing and Reports.
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2013, 03:42:45 am »
Have a proper alignment and sequence and try to convert it graphically so that it ca be easier for you.