Author Topic: Question about particular features of 2.5.1.1  (Read 1835 times)

Cryotech

• View Profile
Question about particular features of 2.5.1.1
« on: March 07, 2014, 05:55:17 pm »
Hello,

I just have a few questions I hope get answered. I've searched for most of them but what I found didn't help at all because most weren't ever answered or they were answered very vaguely.

1. Is there a way to make the files in Feng Office real-time editable as able to do so in GoogleDocs? If no, why hasn't this feature been implemented? It's an extremely useful tool. If yes, how does one enable it? I can edit html only (can't .doc), but I have to keep saving and letting the other person edit, them save, I edit etc., etc., which is not very convenient when those editing the files are in different parts of the world. In the link posted below, franponce87, an administrator, is saying this feature was integrated in 2.1.

http://forum.fengoffice.com/index.php?topic=14723.msg30895#msg30895

Well, I'm running 2.5.1.1 (literally 4.0.1 versions later), and either this feature wasn't integrated, or it's severely hidden and I would love to know where to enable it's usage.

2. As touched on in question #1, I cannot just upload a .doc file and have it ready to be edited using the WYSIWYG editor. I, and those editing the file as well, must download it first. Again, GoogleDocs removes this unnecessary inconvenience by making such files immediately available to be edited real-time with no downloading required. Am I missing something? Can I do that? If so, where do I enable this feature and if no, why not? Why hasn't this feature been implemented yet? From what I've read, web reviews and Feng's statements, Feng (formerly known as OpenGoo), is trying to compete with Google. The only way I see this happening is if Feng starts implementing features that make GoogleDocs king of web based real-time editing so they can stay ahead of the competition rather than constantly, and seemingly willingly and deliberately, staying as the prince.

3. Uploading multiple files at one time needs to be better documented. I was going to ask how this was done (and a user here asked the same question and got a vague answer regarding HTML5 compatibility), but I messed around and experimented by simply selecting multiple files to 'open' in the browse box and it worked. There also (unless it's there and I just can't find it), needs to be a
check box or other method allowing non-HTML5 compliant browsers to upload multiple files to make this more accessible to end users.

4. Regarding question #3, after uploading my files, they were assigned to the general area and not the workspace I was currently in. I cannot seem to find a way to assign them to the particular workspace I want them in. Where and how is this accomplished?

No don't get me wrong, I greatly appreciate the efforts of the Feng Office team and I love being able to use such a great open source product. I'm merely curious to some of the how's and why's of it is all.

Thanks to those that answer in advance
« Last Edit: March 07, 2014, 06:01:24 pm by Cryotech »

Cryotech

• View Profile
Re: Question about particular features of 2.5.1.1
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2014, 02:14:37 am »
four days and no reply? Seriously? Not trying to be impatient but taking this long to answer questions isn't very satisfactory and it seems questions go unanswered quite a bit around here.

I'm evaluating the free edition to see if the pro is worth the money considering the free is the 'base model' if you will. But if this is an example of the customer service one will receive after spending money, it doesn't look good nor does it do anything to establish customer trust. Just saying.

franponce87

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Question about particular features of 2.5.1.1
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2014, 11:59:01 am »
Hello there, pleased to establish contact.

To start with, please let me correct you one thing: this is not an example of the customer service you would receive "after spending money". On the contrary. We in fact do not use the Forums to get in touch with subscribed clients. We use emails or support tickets, which are replied as soon as possible, maximum at 24 or 48 hours depending on the plan, but average is 15 to 30 minutes. In case you would like to discuss subscribing to our plans, we could do it in private as it would otherwise imply you providing private information in a public forum.

Do not take me wrong, this does not mean we do not look into the Forums. We do. But we do not have as much time or resources as we wish we had to reply everyone with a perfect timing as we are very busy working and improving the system, so priorities do matter a lot.

Concerning your questions:
1 & 2- No, it is not possible yet. It would be fantastic, but even though it is in our Road Map, we have not gotten to it yet. Should you (or anyone else) want to help us sponsoring this feature somehow, it would be greatly appreciated.
What I did mention in the 2.1 version post is that Google Doc integration has been added meaning you could edit Google Docs from Feng Office.

3- You would have to select multiple files using your SHIFT or CONTROL key. In the future we look forward to adding drag and drop features, but not in our highest priority right now.
Browsers that do not support HTML 5 have a message saying they do not allow you doing so. Preferrably you would have to upgrade them as that way not only Feng Office but the whole Internet would run faster and better.

4- You need to stand on the workspace and then upload it. Or when clicking on New > Upload click on Related to and select where it will be classified.

Hope you find this information helpful.

Best regards,
Francisco
Would you like to install Feng Office Professional or Enterprise Edition in your servers? No problem! Read this article!