Author Topic: workplace question  (Read 4299 times)

eyalm

• View Profile
workplace question
« on: May 31, 2010, 07:08:43 pm »
Hi guys,

I wonder if someone can help me setup the workplace at my job.

We have 3 different departments (sales, marketing, management).
Should I have 3 different workplaces (one for each), and inside each one of these workplaces put the employee private workplace?

- we want that employees from the same group could add and view each other's calendar.
- we want that employees in the management could add and view ALL calendars.

For Example:

Sales group:
employee 1
employee 2

Marketing group:
employee 3

Management group:
employee 4

Workplaces:
All
- Sales
- - employee1
- - employee2
- Marketing
- - employee 3
- Management
- - employee 4

Sales group has all permissions on the Sales (and childs) workplace
Marketing group on marketig workplace, and so on..

is that a good approach or should I leave the employee's workplace outside?

Thanks!

conrado

• Administrator
  • Conrado
    • View Profile
    • Feng Office
    • Email
Re: workplace question
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2010, 03:48:29 pm »
Could you tell us a bit more about your use case? What kind of business it is? Main activities? Privacy concerns?

If you make your Employee's workspaces private, others on the team will not see their events on the aggregated calendar.

I will move this to the Use Cases Forum Board, as it is the best place to talk about these issues.
Get Official Support for your Feng Office. Support the development team. Sign up for a Free Trial here.

eyalm

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2010, 11:43:03 am »
Hi Conrado,

After re-thinking our requirements, this is what we need:

We have a small tourism business (about 5 employees).
1 Manager
2 Sales
2 a little bit of everything

We'd like to each have it's own personal calendar that can be accessed by everybody.
Also, we'd like a sales calendar, and a company calendar for stuff that are not sales related.
Same goes to Tasks: personal tasks, company tasks that employees can assign later to themselves, and sales tasks that only sales people can see.

Should sales have it's own workplace? is there a way to create a second calendar in one workplace?

Thanks.

conrado

• Administrator
  • Conrado
    • View Profile
    • Feng Office
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2010, 04:31:38 pm »
Great. I think I have a good picture now. Then I think your first approach is very appropriate.

Only I would not make each employee's Work Space (WS) private. I would grant others permission to access their colleague WS, but maybe not allow modifications.

Also, in teams of 5, it is very rare to have people modifying other's stuff, unless it makes complete sense. Most frequently, you'll find people helping each other through comments on Content Objects.
Get Official Support for your Feng Office. Support the development team. Sign up for a Free Trial here.

eyalm

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2010, 07:38:39 pm »
Thanks Conrado for your help.

Some people at work find confusing the fact that they have a different calendar for each one of the workplaces they have access to.
Is there a way to NOT have 1 calendar per user in each workplace, but instead just have 1 global calendar for each workplace? (Like group/shared calendar).

Not sure if I'm clear, but basically we need 1 private calendar per user + group/shared
calendars for each department.

Thanks.

conrado

• Administrator
  • Conrado
    • View Profile
    • Feng Office
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2010, 11:32:34 am »
If an event should be private to a user, then the user would schedule it under his/her private WS. If it is important for others to be able to see it, the I would suggest scheduling it on the parent WS (eg: Sales), so that the whole group can see it.

Also, when managers position on 'the root' (aka: "All"), they will be able to see a global calendar, aggregating all events.

Do I make sense? Was that helpful?

damendieta

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2010, 10:18:35 pm »
HI, I really don't understand the hole picture, maybe you can tell us the problems you want to solve to try to help.

As workspaces are really easy to work with, your idea is really good. Just a few comments.

Try to use the labels, that can solve most of your problems, specially with calendar. For example, if you have all your sales related events with a "sales" label, you will be able to see only them when you need it.
Same to personal and company staff. Labels are one of the most useful parts of FO.

Also, I can see you have only one person in Marketing, for that reason, unless you have public and private staff, the marketing workspace is redundant. Just create the workspace of the person.

If you need to other people to see marketing staff, then your idea is perfect. All the public staff goes to Marketing and the private staff to the person workspace.

For calendars, there is an option to see the calendar of one person or all at ones. For the shared calendar you need, you just have to set User = everyone and that's it.

Just one last thing.

Maybe is better if you use colors instead of sub-workspaces. For example:

Instead of

Sales
   User 1
   User 2
Marketing
   User  3

Maybe you can work with

User 1
User 2
User 3

And use color to identify. For example: red = sales, blue = marketing.

It is really useful and gives you more control about your day to day work. Try it and tell me how it goes.

Daniel.