Author Topic: Automatic Update in 1.5 final  (Read 1931 times)

Pet

• Global Moderator
  • Always mining for solutions!
    • View Profile
    • The Bet!
Automatic Update in 1.5 final
« on: July 28, 2009, 03:55:06 am »
I realize that not all automatic updates will work as each host is different, but my only suggestion is ask if it is possible to have a friendly OG error message if the upgrade doesn't work for some reason?

For example, I knew it wouldn't work on my host, but my browser gave me this unfriendly error, which to a non-technical user can be daunting:

FastCGI Error
The FastCGI Handler was unable to process the request.

Error Details:

* The FastCGI process exceeded configured activity timeout
    * Error Number: 258 (0x80070102).
    * Error Description: The wait operation timed out.

HTTP Error 500 - Server Error.
Internet Information Services (IIS)

I'm not asking for an explanation of this error nor a solution to it, only if it is possible to gracefully fail and return to OG.

cheers
Support OpenGoo - Sponsor a Feature! | Follow me on Twitter | OG Support Chat | Did you turn debugging on?

ignacio

• View Profile
Re: Automatic Update in 1.5 final
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2009, 12:02:10 pm »
The error in that case seems to be because the upgrade exceeded the maximum amount of time allowed for scripts in your server. Preventing that error message isn't an easy task as we can't know beforehand how long it will take to perform the upgrade. I think that a better solution would be to perform the upgrade in small steps, so that a lower timeout limit would be enough for the upgrade to work, but still some queries would be hard to split into smaller ones and could still exceed the timeout limit. Once the timeout limit is exceeded there's nothing we can do in the application to show some error message, that is up to the server.

Improving how the upgrade works is something that I very much want to do, but it is quite some work.