Author Topic: Email Reminders - What kind of Cron Job is needed?  (Read 3394 times)

Double A Ron

• View Profile
Email Reminders - What kind of Cron Job is needed?
« on: April 25, 2009, 02:24:58 am »
Losing a little hair tonight trying to get email reminders working...  ;D then I saw Ignacio's update on 1.3 where it says we need a properly set up cron job for email reminders to work. Can someone elaborate a little on how to set up the cron job and what type of cron job it is we need to set up?

Some of the new features introduced since version 1.2:
have
    * Reminders:
          o Define email reminders or popup reminders for events, tasks and milestones.
          o Reminders can be set for yourself or for all subscribers of an object.
          o Email reminders need a properly configured cron job.

Thanks so much in advance!

Pet

• Global Moderator
  • Always mining for solutions!
    • View Profile
    • The Bet!
Re: Email Reminders - What kind of Cron Job is needed?
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2009, 02:36:54 am »
If you go to Administration, Cron Events, the 3rd one in the list is for email reminders.  I haven't tested these myself so you could set a new email reminder for the next time slot and see if it works.

Also, you might want to review this post to see if possibly the time zone bug is affecting the reminders.
Support OpenGoo - Sponsor a Feature! | Follow me on Twitter | OG Support Chat | Did you turn debugging on?

Pet

• Global Moderator
  • Always mining for solutions!
    • View Profile
    • The Bet!
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2009, 03:14:19 pm »
Okay I did a bit of testing myself in 1.3.1.  Refer to the attached image, yesterday at 10:20pm I set those cron jobs, expecting the next execution time values to change and each one to be executed.  However as of this morning nothing happened, and the values did not change.  Like I said previously, I haven't really used notifications so I'm not sure how this is supposed to work.
Support OpenGoo - Sponsor a Feature! | Follow me on Twitter | OG Support Chat | Did you turn debugging on?

bountonw

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2009, 09:28:05 am »
None of us could get the e-mail reminders to work in version 1.3.1.  None of us knows php to do the encoding.  

Why isn't this automatic?  

ignacio

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2009, 06:28:02 pm »
It is not automatic because you need something in the server to continuously check if it has to send email reminders, because email reminders depend on time and not user interaction. This cannot be done in PHP alone and is OS dependent, so the solution we made is to provide a script that does this, but it is up to the system administrator to make sure that the script is executed periodically.

snakewa

• View Profile