Author Topic: Purpose of OpenGoo?  (Read 3327 times)

tamalita

• View Profile
    • Enchanted Graphics
    • Email
Purpose of OpenGoo?
« on: September 30, 2009, 04:59:05 pm »
I am not really sure where to put this and it is not my intent to be inflammatory -- I am simply curious.

With FengOffice available, what is the purpose of OpenGoo?

I know that personally, I prefer having an installation on my own server so that I can be 'in charge', maintain backups (both schedule and physical) of the files and the database, and I'd prefer to send users to my own website.

I use my OG on a daily basis, and pretty much all day long. It is where I store all of my notes and keep track of all of my time for all of my work. I have been using OG since February 2009 and it has become an essential part of my business.

I am not a PHP programmer, but have used many different types of scripts over the years and successfully updgraded working installations of said scripts (shopping carts, content management, etc).  I feel that I have a certain level of technical proficiency that allows me to do the things that I need to and usually want to do.

I have not hacked the OG code in any way, but I'm using the files directly from the downloads.  It seems that each upgrade for OpenGoo that I have gone through has broken my installation. The automatic upgrade does not work and I have to do manual upgrades. That's ok because I'm used to doing manual upgrades for several different types of programs and understand how things need to be done. I follow the instructions. Then when I get to the part where I'm supposed to upgrade (domain.com/opengoo/public/install) the upgrade fails and I'm left with a broken installation.

I then have to spend a large part of my day reverting back to my old installation that was working and once that is back again, deal with the annoying message that a new upgrade is available.

Obviously since I have been able to do a completely new installation in another directly and successfully upgraded that --- something is amiss with my current installation. I can understand that --- but how do I go about figuring out what the problem is?

Is there a way to successfully import data from an old installation into a new installation?

Does this type of issue occur in FengOffice? 

Again, I'm not trying to be inflammatory, I am just frustrated and looking for some sort of advice. I do not mind paying for FengOffice except that I have months worth of data that won't be there ... and I'd prefer to send users to my own site ... and I'd prefer to be in charge of my own backups.
Tamalita
Enchanted Graphics
Feng Office 1.7.3.1
Linux/PHP 5.2.14/MySQL 5.0.91

Pet

• Global Moderator
  • Always mining for solutions!
    • View Profile
    • The Bet!
Re: Purpose of OpenGoo?
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2009, 09:55:52 pm »
You'd have to check with the Feng people, but I'm running OpenGoo myself on my server, and have subscribed to Feng just for the support. Fortunately I haven't really needed it, other than minor gripes my installs all seem to work just fine. Perhaps you can continue to run your Goo and just get the support?

cheers
Support OpenGoo - Sponsor a Feature! | Follow me on Twitter | OG Support Chat | Did you turn debugging on?

darkhelmet

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2009, 11:21:16 am »
Probably not worth anything to tamalita but I am also a programming novice and just used the upgrade button from the admin which worked flawlessly.

I backed up the opengoo directory and the phpMyAdmin database, overwrote the existing files with the newest version 1.5.3., logged into the admin, clicked one button, refreshed the page, done!

tamalita

• View Profile
    • Enchanted Graphics
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2009, 12:52:17 pm »
@darkhelmet The automatic upgrade had not worked for me because my host does not have the php  zip function activated.

@Pet so exactly how does that work, getting the support from Feng folks on your OpenGoo? I could go with that ..... thank you.

I really do love my OpenGoo and am quite attached to it .... lol.
Tamalita
Enchanted Graphics
Feng Office 1.7.3.1
Linux/PHP 5.2.14/MySQL 5.0.91

Pet

• Global Moderator
  • Always mining for solutions!
    • View Profile
    • The Bet!
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2009, 12:52:54 pm »
I will PM you shortly.
Support OpenGoo - Sponsor a Feature! | Follow me on Twitter | OG Support Chat | Did you turn debugging on?

cabeza

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Feng Office
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2009, 05:33:53 pm »
Hello Tamalita,

Thanks for subscribing to Feng Onsite. We are glad we could help you with your OpenGoo issue.

Please let us know if you have any other problem.