Author Topic: OpenGoo as a replacement for Horde email?  (Read 3637 times)

njathan

• View Profile
OpenGoo as a replacement for Horde email?
« on: November 30, 2009, 10:00:33 am »
Hi,

My service provider provides Horde and Squirelmail as web frontend for emails.
As opposed to these, i find OpenGoo very intuitive. Is it possible to use OpenGoo as a replacement for these web clients?

I know the emails can be configured in OpenGoo as POP/IMAP. But the primary problem i am facing is with password management. To change the password of my email i would still have to go to my service provider's frontend, and then update the same in OpenGoo's personal email settings. This is a pretty tedious process, and not all my users may be as tech savvy to get a grip of this process.

Is there a easier way? Am i missing something?

I dont mind OpenGoo and email password being different. My only requirement is that both of them should be manageable in OpenGoo.

Is this possible?

a2opinion

• Christian
    • View Profile
    • A Second Opinion
Re: OpenGoo as a replacement for Horde email?
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2009, 01:55:37 pm »
Once you've set up your email in openGoo, you shouldn't have to enter in the passwords for the email ever again.

All of the emails I set up for our company are generated passwords so it would really be a pain to have to enter those in every time.

I think that in order for openGoo to edit or update the password for your email, it would need direct access to the mail server and that would most likely make for a very unsecure server.

Maybe I'm not understanding you question?

njathan

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2009, 04:06:04 pm »
Hi a2opinion,

I understand that once POP/IMAP is configured, the user may not need to change it. My concern is when the user has to change the password.

If OpenGoo has to talk to the mail server, it sure may be unsecure. But wht when the mail server resides on the same server as the web server? My only problem here (if i go ahead with this option) is that i dont have any control of the mail server (except what a hosting provider normally gives)... Thats where i need to know if there is absolutely _anything_ i have to do with the email server config to let opengoo be the front end.

blindman

• View Profile
    • PartySearch
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2009, 02:41:05 am »
I would like to see an answer to this also.

a2opinion

• Christian
    • View Profile
    • A Second Opinion
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2009, 11:41:07 am »
ah ok.  I'm guessing that this MAY be possible, but not without some serious hacking to openGoo.  The system is designed to retrieve any emails from the mail server and then store them in your opengoo DB.  In order to bypass this and get opengoo to use your mailserver instead of it's DB...   

I've never used IMAP, but supposedly it's a more 'direct access' kind of method.

I wouldn't mind using opengoo as the front end for my mail server either.. but I personally don't have the skills to hack and reprogram opengoo until it is. I think this would be a very custom solution.

What about forgoing Horde or SquirrelMail all together and requiring your users to only use remote email systems like Thunderbird, openGoo, gmail or (if you must) Outlook?  Then you would have to set up the email for your users (or show them how to do it) in whatever system they are using, but no longer provide direct mailserver access.

This is actually what I do for my company.  :-\