Author Topic: Stuck on Step 3 - Database Connection [SOLVED]  (Read 4321 times)

trekman

• View Profile
Stuck on Step 3 - Database Connection [SOLVED]
« on: November 20, 2009, 03:14:50 am »
Ok, this is odd... when I get to step 3 of the installation, after entering the database connection information, and clicking on "next" it doesn't go anywhere.  No errors on the screen, it just comes back to step 3 with the password field blanked out.

My configuration is:

Apache 2.2.8
PHP 5.2.9 (mod_php)
MySQL 5
Opengoo 1.6 beta 3

Here's what I've tried so far:

- I've tried starting over with version 1.5.3. Same result.

- I've tried not creating the database up front and providing Opengoo with a mysql user login that has permission to create databases.  Same result (stays on step 3 with no errors), except that it creates an empty database.

- I originally was trying to install in the root directory, but have since been trying to install to the /opengoo subdirectory, with the same results.

- I've tried it in FireFox, IE and Chrome

It sounds like a permissions problem to me, but I've already set the permissions on the directories that Opengoo asks for and it passes the tests on Step 2.

One possible clue... it does create a config/config.php file with the following contents:

Code: [Select]
<?php return false ?>

I'd appreciate any help I can get. :-)

Thanks,

Curtis
« Last Edit: December 07, 2009, 07:52:12 pm by trekman »

Pet

• Global Moderator
  • Always mining for solutions!
    • View Profile
    • The Bet!
Re: Stuck on Step 3 - Database Connection
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2009, 01:14:32 pm »
Have you tried re-uploading all of the installation files
Support OpenGoo - Sponsor a Feature! | Follow me on Twitter | OG Support Chat | Did you turn debugging on?

trekman

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2009, 06:51:54 pm »
Have you tried re-uploading all of the installation files

Actually, I had unzipped it directly on the server.  However, I saw at least one other person mentioning that unzipping on the server didn't work for them, so I tried unzipping on my desktop and uploading the files.

Unfortunately it gets stuck in the same place.  Thanks for the idea, anyway.

drinkmaker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2009, 10:31:52 pm »
same problem  >:(
Other options????

trekman

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2009, 12:47:19 am »
same problem  >:(
Other options????

I haven't given up on getting it to work, but haven't had time to work on it lately.  If I come up with a solution, I'll let you know.  I wish there was a "debug" mode or something that would log errors.  

Anyhow, please let me know if you get it figured out first.

a2opinion

• Christian
    • View Profile
    • A Second Opinion
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2009, 01:58:58 pm »
check out Pet's sig for debugging options

trekman

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2009, 04:43:51 pm »
Ok, tried unsuccessfully to get something useful from the debug option.

First, I tried adding a the debug line to the default.php, resulting in a config.php file that looks like this:

<?php
define
('DEBUG'true);
return 
false;
?>

...and nothing was logged to the cache/log.php file.  And it still just does nothing when I click on the "next" button on the database connection page.  In fact, if I remember correctly, I think it just reset the config.php file back to the default one that contains only a "return false".

Second, I tried copying the empty.config.php over to config.php, and editing the database connection settings therein.

That resulted in an error being displayed on the screen and logged to log.php:

#1 DEBUG: SQL ERROR: Query failed with message 'Table 'og.og_companies' doesn't exist' - SELECT * FROM `og_companies` WHERE `trashed_by_id` = 0 AND (`client_of_id` = '0')
So, it obvious that this makes Opengoo think that the tables are already supposed to exist.

Third, I tried changing the "return true" to "return false", which appears to tell OpenGoo that the setup script still needs to run.

Unfortunately, when I ran the setup script again, all that did was wipe out my config.php with the same end result.

Fourth, I setup config.php again (using empty.config.php as a template) and switched it "return false" again, but this time switched the permissions on the file so that it couldn't wipe it out again.

That does nothing.  The setup script still asks for the database connection options and still does not create any tables.  No errors,m the "next" button just doesn't do anything.

Anyone else have any success it getting past this?

trekman

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2009, 07:47:35 pm »
SOLVED!   8)

The problem was that PHP sessions were busted.  Specifically, the directory that sessions were being stored in (in my case, /var/lib/php/session) could not be written to by the Apache user.  I'm not sure how that happened.  But, this is a new server and so something obviously didn't go right when PHP was installed on this server. 

It might be helpful if the OpenGoo installer did a sessions test to keep people from getting stuck at this step.

Looking forward to finally getting to play around with OpenGoo a little now. :-)

Arjan

• View Profile
    • Arjan's Logboek
Re: Stuck on Step 3 - Database Connection [SOLVED]
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2009, 05:23:24 pm »
Thank you trekman for your work!

I had the same problem and opening the directory access for Apache was indeed the solution.

The only thing I did was:

# chown  www-data:www-data  /var/lib/php5
« Last Edit: December 09, 2009, 06:52:26 pm by Arjan »