Author Topic: Change from IMAP to POP3  (Read 3330 times)

Gr8Britton

• View Profile
Change from IMAP to POP3
« on: October 26, 2009, 06:23:36 pm »
I have used IMAP mail for my webmail for years.  However, I really like OpenGoo and want to use it exclusively.  Because of this, I would like to change to POP3 so the email will be downloaded to the OpenGoo DB instead of having to read the IMAP server all of the time.

Question...If I change it to POP3, will I get duplicates the first time it downloads emails?  Also, will it get the email I have in my IMAP folders or just the inbox?

a2opinion

• Christian
    • View Profile
    • A Second Opinion
Re: Change from IMAP to POP3
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2009, 03:24:40 pm »
to my knowledge POP3 doesn't use folders so I'm guessing that if you set up your OG installation to act as POP3 then it will only pull from the inbox.

Not certain without experimentation, but that's my guess.

Gr8Britton

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2009, 04:30:27 pm »
Thanks for the tid bit.  Can I delete the IMAP account and NOT delete the emails?  This way, I could delete the account in OpenGoo, delete all emails on my server that are old and then setup the POP3 acct in OpenGoo.

Does this sound reasaonable?

Gr8Britton

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2009, 05:35:02 pm »
Well, I have not received any help from this forum.   :'(  I am going to just backup the database and delete/setup the email account again in OpenGoo to see what happens.

a2opinion

• Christian
    • View Profile
    • A Second Opinion
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2009, 08:38:25 pm »
sorry, I've been out.

OG stores all of the emails locally in it's DB so in theory, you should be able to simply modify the email setup so that it reflects your pop3 settings and not lose any of the emails that you have already gathered.

OG also marks the emails as read on your mail server so that it knows not to grab them next time (should you go with the option to leave a copy on the server, I always do this so that I have backups)

I've never worked with IMAP before though, would you have to reconfigure your imap account so that it didn't use the subfolders any more?

Gr8Britton

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2009, 04:03:05 pm »
yes, it probably would be best to change the move the emails to the inbox only and get rid of the folders.  That's a good idea.

So, I should be able to just change the account to POP3 (I will have it leave a copy on the server) and all should be good?  I'll give that a shot.

Gr8Britton

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2009, 02:30:57 pm »
Just to let everyone know....
I changed to POP3.  The only problem I had was that it created duplicates.  Took awhile to clean up, but not that big of a deal.  It is SO much faster now.  I used to use IMAP so the emails were on the server and my webmail would have everything.  Now that OpenGoo IS my webmail, this works great.  And, I can just backup the DB anytime I want.

a2opinion

• Christian
    • View Profile
    • A Second Opinion
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2009, 04:29:56 pm »
Excellent!  I'm glad you were able find a solution  ;D