Author Topic: How can our team members see the "context" of a task?  (Read 1793 times)

DougLucas

How can our team members see the "context" of a task?
« on: December 24, 2009, 12:04:47 am »
I'm a brand new Feng Office user... like 2 days. I'm inputting all our organizations goals into the program. I'm tagging the goals to different users... then, with the "Assign to:" filter, our users will be able to filter the list so they see only their goals. The problem comes when a sub-task is assigned to a particular person, but maybe it depends on the context of the "father" task ... which might be attributed to the team leader of the group. In that case, the team member can't see the hierarchy. He/she only sees the one task.

So my question is: How is it possible for somehow to see, when filtering a task list by the "Assigned to: _____name____" filter, the context of a task in the "tree" or hierarchy. For example, let's suppose we have a task list like this:

"+ Garbage removal: [assigned to no one]
             Doug Lucas: Remove it on Mondays"

In this example, if I filter by "Assigned to: = Doug Lucas", I miss the outline point *above* my task. I only see "Remove it on Mondays" in my filtered list. So because I don't know the context, I might think it deals with a vital organ... and get my appendix removed when the procedure is quite unnecessary! :-) Is there a work around for this problem?

Thanks for your consideration... and may the Feng Office work group keep up the good work!

Doug

allenlook

• Volunteer Moderator
    • MSN Messenger - sii_lookal@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • SI Group, Inc.
Re: How can our team members see the "context" of a task?
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2010, 08:43:49 pm »
Sorry nobody answered your question, and it may be too late.

Based on my also newby understanding of Feng, I would have to use the "Tags" feature to add context to each task, much like I've used tags to add the "Getting Things Done" or GTD context and action status to each task.
I am a volunteer moderator.  Any statements, opinions or observations I contribute are solely mine and are not necessarily shared by the makers of Feng Office.

DougLucas

Re: How can our team members see the "context" of a task?
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2010, 05:49:53 pm »
Certainly tags can help. We're using them to cut across multiple branches of our strategic plan, thereby gathering up related goals which otherwise would have been scattered. So don't get me wrong -- tags are *awesome* for our application. But we still needed a way to "see the forest" properly... and in the correct order. Recall a key part of our problem: The "mother" goal would say,

"Organize Christmas banquet,"  (owner=Doug)

and there would be 4 "daughter" goals, e.g., ...

*** Find site (owner=Mark)
*** Rent tables (owner=John)
*** Buy table cloths (owner=Gladys)
*** Engage caterer (owner=Doug)

Then we'd sort the tasks by "assigned to:"
Suddenly, among Mark's goals is this straggler, with no explanation:
*** Find site

He has no clue whether the site has to do with Christmas, or Easter, or the 18th of July holiday! (Uruguayan independence day). What's more, if we create a separate tag for every single goal, we'll have *hundreds* of tags that will only be used for just 3 or 4 items each. And the idea breaks down when we get into even more complex goals with multiple levels. (Most of our tasks occur at the 5th indention in the outline. We probably have some 2000 tasks so far and we're just 1 month into the year.)

We need some way to show context. I'm not a programmer, but I'm a committed user --- and here's a user problem that could use some attention.

Thanks for empathizing.
Doug