Author Topic: Ticketing/Knowledge base  (Read 4526 times)

maxxer

• View Profile
Ticketing/Knowledge base
« on: January 29, 2010, 01:25:05 pm »
Hi.

I did a little of digging but didn't find anything...

I just discovered FengOffice and I like ti a lot.
I would like to know if there is any way of using the system as ticketing system/knowledge base.

Or, in case, if there is any other Open Source software which integrates with FengOffice.

Thanks

tek12

Re: Ticketing/Knowledge base
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2010, 11:18:48 pm »
The only thing I can think of is using the Templates function to create tasks. That was the suggestion I received when I was looking for a way to track Bug Tickets. But, I found it extremely limited... though you may have better luck...

maxxer

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2010, 05:47:18 am »
what solution did you use for ticketing?
thanks

tek12

« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2010, 11:46:23 am »
I created a template and used that...

http://www.fengoffice.com/web/wiki/doku.php/tasks#task_templates

I found it didnt work very well for what I needed though. For instance, you can map the fields of the Template to aspects of a Task. Like, a priority field can be mapped into the Title of the Task, you can assign it to a user and set a priority. I still found it somewhat cumbersome - like adding a description required using the Template to create a task and then going back into the task to edit the description. When someone submits a ticket, I wanted them to be able to input all information into the Template and hit Create (Instantiate) and be done with it.   This may have been the way I was using it though...

If you find a better way, please let me know. I have about 3 different projects I accept bug reports on and Id love to get it all into Feng...

dpg

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2010, 02:56:30 pm »
I have a question aimed at using Open Goo to handle our ticketing / bug tracking.  Currently we use unique Ticket numbers to track and reference issues which are automatically generated when a new ticket is opened.  I just set up the community edition today and can't find a way to auto assign a number to a task. 

I'm assuming that a task would be the best place to put an issue's information weather it is a bug or a ticket. 

Thank you in advance for your help.  From what I've seen in the setup on my local server and email integration Open Goo is a wonderful project that is easy to use!

internalkernel

• Freshman
    • View Profile
    • Tek Twelve
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2010, 02:59:49 pm »
The only thing I can think of in regards to adding something like that is by going through:

Administration --> Custom Properties

The select Type: Task

and define the variables for that custom property. That may get you what you need...

Good Luck

dpg

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2010, 03:03:06 pm »
Thanks.  From what I can tell adding a custom property is
A) Not for all task - only the one which you have added the property for.
B) Not automatically incremented

Both of these present extra work in this process.

internalkernel

• Freshman
    • View Profile
    • Tek Twelve
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2010, 03:07:10 pm »
Yeah, I figured it wouldn't auto increment values... It's unfortunate, I'd love Feng to be effective in tracking bugs/issues but maybe it's not really meant for that.

You may want to contact them directly about the feature, they do seem to provide support through paid subscriptions. 

dpg

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2010, 03:14:17 pm »
Thanks internalkernel,

I'm with you.  It's a great system and as we do with all really good software we eventually expect it to do everything for us.  Ticket tracking is most likely not the intended purpose.  This may be an enhancement worth looking into if there are any developers reading this forum.  The addition of a custom property for all tickets and an auto incrementing option to numeric fields would allow Open Goo to track tickets as far as I can tell.

cabeza

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Feng Office
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2010, 03:37:52 pm »
Every Feng Object (i.e. a Task) has a Unique ID.
This ID is visible in the properties panel, while viewing the task.

Hope it helps.

dpg

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2010, 03:43:54 pm »
Thanks cabeza,

I see that.  This is great! Is there a way to display this in the task list?