Author Topic: Trivial and dead useful: mark email subjects with prefix to allow MUA rules  (Read 4001 times)

raboof

• View Profile
Hi!

FengOffice has the ability to send out e-mail messages for such things as tasks, comments and other events. All of these messages have different senders (the real author) and different subjects (a natural language description of the event), so they are nearly impossible to operate from the e-mail client.

It would be great if something is done to permit, on the side of the Mail User Agent, to apply rules to them. For example, I want to move them all to a separate folder. Also, I'd like to mark in red the "task assigned".

1) Could you, for example, add the "[fengoffice]" prefix to the subject of any such message?
2) Even better would be to have a few standard prefixes, like:
  • [fengoffice - task]
  • [fengoffice - comment]
  • [fengoffice - event]

etcetera. Notice that all should have a common prefix, so that the user can decide to treat them all (regardless of the type) with the same action.

#1 is very cheap and would already make it, #2 is just a "nice to have" refinement.

Comments?
« Last Edit: April 13, 2010, 06:19:12 am by raboof »

allenlook

• Volunteer Moderator
    • MSN Messenger - sii_lookal@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • SI Group, Inc.
As many other programs use the subject as the title of an object (eg. RememberTheMilk.com and GTDInbox), perhaps it would be best to leave the subject line as the name of the event or task, and embed different keys in the body of the message - near the bottom of the message where they would not be obtrusive, but could still be found by a mail agent.

[fengoffice] - denoting a general object related to fengoffice
[fengoffice event] - denoting a fengoffice event
[fengoffice task] - denoting a fengoffice task

The first issue becomes one of languages - are these tags multi-lingual?
I am a volunteer moderator.  Any statements, opinions or observations I contribute are solely mine and are not necessarily shared by the makers of Feng Office.

ignacio

• View Profile
Hi,

Note that you can do some filtering with the notification "disclaimer" or the application's URL that is added at the end of each email. Even more you can set the "From" field of notification emails in "Administration" / "Configuration" / "Mailing" and then filter by it.

Still, I will add a couple of hooks for next version so that you can edit the subject and/or body of notification emails, but it will be the same for all notifications, regardless of object type.

allenlook

• Volunteer Moderator
    • MSN Messenger - sii_lookal@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • SI Group, Inc.
Thank you Ignacio, that is a welcome start.
I am a volunteer moderator.  Any statements, opinions or observations I contribute are solely mine and are not necessarily shared by the makers of Feng Office.

raboof

• View Profile
Still, I will add a couple of hooks for next version so that you can edit the subject and/or body of notification emails, but it will be the same for all notifications, regardless of object type.

perfectly fine! Great news, thanks.

Now as a second order whishlist, I hope you increase the frequency of releases: you usually push one release with 100 change items. Would be great to have 5 with 20 each :) (that is, have features at hand fairly soon after they are actually implemented).