20 (66.7%)
Yeah, nice to have
7 (23.3%)
Nah, just a waste of time
1 (3.3%)
A "what" chart?
2 (6.7%)

Total Members Voted: 30

Author Topic: Gantt charts, 2 years of requests finally fullfilled by Allenlook  (Read 9338 times)

maxxer

• View Profile
Re: Gantt charts, 2 years of requests ignored
« Reply #15 on: February 24, 2010, 06:01:12 am »
It will take us a bit longer to polish this into something I would even call a "hack", but we will post the solution back here for the community.

The Gantt chart will not need to be integrated as a tab in Feng Office, but it can be done.  I will include instructions when we are done.

oh, please!

but the sooner you post, the faster you'll get feedback and maybe contributions.

we're starving for this as well!

maxxer

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 24, 2010, 06:03:49 am »
There has been an attempt to raise funds to sponsor this feature but, as surprising as it may seem to some, it hasn't drawn much interest yet.

fund rising here over the web? not interested?

allenlook

• Volunteer Moderator
    • MSN Messenger - sii_lookal@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • SI Group, Inc.
« Reply #17 on: February 24, 2010, 11:46:37 pm »
OK, it took a few days of messing around, but we *finally* got the MySQL queries together that will report on all the workspaces, milestones, tasks and subtasks in their proper work breakdown structure (WBS) order.  JSGantt needs this to display correctly.

I've got a 95% working Gantt chart on its own tab that can be opened in a new window, print-previewed, and printed.  Firefox doesn't like DIVs that are larger than a single page, so that took an extra day to figure out.  It now prints as many pages tall as you like, but I still have some puzzling to do on making it many pages wide.  That's why I say it's 95%, otherwise I think it works great.

There is a data-selection form that has its own print-css style so it does not appear on printouts, but shows onscreen and allows you to select one or more workspaces, one or more resources (people) and a start and end date to build the Gantt chart with.

Once built, the Gantt chart can be dynamically changed (expanded/collapsed) and set to day/week/month/quarter.  Some of it is set for my preferences, but it's as simple as changing the value of a variable in the javascript to change it to look like you want.  It is slower in IE, but works better than in Firefox as far as layout goes.

Tomorrow I'm working on blending the CSS a little more with Feng Office, but I'll wrap up the steps (including the MySQL views which are named with a "my_" at the beginning to keep them separate from the "og_" tables), the view tab, PHP files, and Javascript that makes it all work.

It's all contained in just a few files, and there's not much hacking of Feng Office required, especially if you're already familiar with the "Hello World" method of adding a tab.  You don't have to change your existing tables at all, and in fact, you could just add it as a separate web page, and not even link it into Feng Office at all if you want to leave that pristine - the Gantt chart does not require Feng Office's front end, only the back end data tables.

I'll also wrap up my mod for the integrated SuperSimple blog/CMS tomorrow and try to post that in the appropriate thread.

I also want to note that I have not yet added the "dependencies" or "% complete" features.  The script has the ability, but Feng Office does not yet have a field for dependencies or % complete, and I did not yet have time to add one as a Custom field or to just add a column to the tables.  I do intend to do that, as well as probably building a separate dependency editor that will allow for seeing a task's true ID number and relating one task to another.

If done manually, it would be very simple to add them to the query that feeds the Gantt chart.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2010, 12:05:45 am by allenlook »
I am a volunteer moderator.  Any statements, opinions or observations I contribute are solely mine and are not necessarily shared by the makers of Feng Office.

allenlook

• Volunteer Moderator
    • View Profile
    • SI Group, Inc.
« Reply #18 on: February 25, 2010, 12:00:39 am »
Just to give you an idea of what it looks like, here is a screenshot.

I am a volunteer moderator.  Any statements, opinions or observations I contribute are solely mine and are not necessarily shared by the makers of Feng Office.

allenlook

• Volunteer Moderator
    • View Profile
    • SI Group, Inc.
« Reply #19 on: February 25, 2010, 01:39:32 pm »
I will start a new thread for the HOW-TO

gain

• Freshman
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 03, 2010, 07:49:48 am »
Waiting for the thread...  ;)

[edit]
already opened: http://forums.fengoffice.com/index.php?topic=3826.0
[/edit]
« Last Edit: March 03, 2010, 07:51:59 am by gain »

conrado

• Administrator
  • Conrado
    • View Profile
    • Feng Office
    • Email
Re: Gantt charts, 2 years of requests finally fullfilled by Allenlook
« Reply #21 on: March 18, 2010, 12:05:24 pm »
So great to see this happening! Thanks Allen!
Get Official Support for your Feng Office. Support the development team. Sign up for a Free Trial here.