Author Topic: A guide on how to structure a project  (Read 2757 times)

moik78

• View Profile
    • Email
A guide on how to structure a project
« on: March 26, 2010, 06:47:07 am »
As I'm new to Feng Office, it would be nice that someone would post a begginer guide on how to organize Feng Office for Projects.
I'm used to dotproject buy i wished to change because the performance it's not great.
Im' trying to implement this Project structure but I don't know how to accomplish it.

Proyect Name
  • Phase 1
    • Milestone 1
    • Milestone 2
  • Phase 2
    • Milestone 1
    • Milestone 2

Also I would like to have this structures as a Template toreplicate for other projects.

Any ideas?

allenlook

• Volunteer Moderator
    • MSN Messenger - sii_lookal@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • SI Group, Inc.
Re: A guide on how to structure a project
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2010, 11:34:03 am »
The following is my approach - others may differ.

For my company, a major project is a workspace.  If there are major (really big) sub-projects, they may become workspaces beneath the root project's workspace.

Normal sub-projects though may just become a milestone.  A Feng Office milestone is not actually a "milestone" in project management terms and may be an unfortunate misnomer - (a project management milestone to me is a single item or goal with a single achievement date, but to Feng Office a milestone is a collection of tasks which need to be performed, otherwise known as a sub-project).

So in each workspace (or project) we establish a milestone (sub-project) with the same name as its workspace, and then we begin to create tasks and subtasks there.  If there are multiple sub-projects, we create multiple milestones.

Doing it this way helps us when we are reporting - we can always see the name of the milestone to help us know where a task "lives", otherwise they can get lost if you are reporting across milestones or workspaces.
I am a volunteer moderator.  Any statements, opinions or observations I contribute are solely mine and are not necessarily shared by the makers of Feng Office.

moik78

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: A guide on how to structure a project
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2010, 11:54:35 am »
Interesting approach. I thought something similar  but I think a more detailed guide should be posted somewhere else.