Author Topic: How to do a mass document upload?  (Read 9982 times)

decrypt

• View Profile
How to do a mass document upload?
« on: November 13, 2008, 01:27:04 am »
Hi, I have a lot of document to upload to opengoo. Can I do a ftp? or is there any other way?

ignacio

• View Profile
Re: How to do a mass document upload?
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2008, 10:07:45 am »
There isn't currently a way to massively upload documents.

We will eventually have a synchronization app to automatically upload files from your PC. We will also add the ability to extract zip files in OpenGoo, so that you can zip many files, upload the zip file and then extract it in OpenGoo, creating many documents at once. But nothing for the moment, sorry.

mistertrip

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2009, 12:04:15 am »
Have any of these features been added since November? I just did a fresh install for a new environment and we have a LOT of files. Having to upload them one by one would be painful to say the least.

Anyone know of any work arounds at all if the feature is not available?

conrado

• Administrator
  • Conrado
    • View Profile
    • Feng Office
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2009, 09:28:10 pm »
Yes. This feature has been added. There is a blog post that explains how to use it.

Let me know if it is not clear enough.

Enjoy!  :D
Get Official Support for your Feng Office. Support the development team. Sign up for a Free Trial here.

bikegraphics

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2009, 05:56:34 pm »
This is very helpful to me for sending multiple art files to vendors.  My question is on why it takes so long to upload any files?  If the file is over a meg in size it takes forever to get the file into the system if at all.  I have full access to my server as well as a T1 connection and I can't seem to get it to upload with any sense of speed or reliability.  Are there any suggestions as to how I need to set up my php.ini for uploads, or my directory permissions, or anything else?  This is the only area where this system is lacking.  Thanks in advance.

-Ron

ignacio

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2009, 02:08:40 pm »
The upload speed will depend on your upload bandwidth, the server's download bandwidth, and the congestion on the network. Usually the bottleneck is the user's upload bandwidth. What is yours?

bikegraphics

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2009, 02:45:43 pm »
We are on a t1 connection here. 

The upload is significantly slower than the upload to an FTP.  I often get time outs on a 1 meg file even with my upload limit set to 20 megs in the php.ini file. 

This might also go into the feature request but it would be cool be able to upload a zip file to a server location and find it using the opengoo software and make it available to clients.  This would be really beneficial especially when I need to transfer large files. 

Thanks.

-R

conrado

• Administrator
  • Conrado
    • View Profile
    • Feng Office
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2009, 04:54:21 pm »
To determine whether the issue is at client or server side I would suggest you do a test using a Feng Office trial. Upload a file there and let me know how it went. 1MB is supposed to upload very fast.

Servers are located in the US, so distance will not be an issue to you.

We could also personally help you with your local installation. You can either suscribe to a specialized support plan or an onsite support plan, depending on your needs.
Get Official Support for your Feng Office. Support the development team. Sign up for a Free Trial here.

bikegraphics

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2009, 11:32:07 am »
So what is Feng?  Does that have any relation to openGoo?  Installation is not really any issue as I am a proficient computer user ;)  I just don't get why it takes forever and a day to upload a 1.5 meg file through the system, when I can FTP that same file in a matter of seconds. 

-R

bikegraphics

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2009, 12:33:23 pm »
OK tried Feng.  I uploaded a 1 meg file pretty quick.  I then tried a 3 meg file and it went really slow / stalled.  I then tried the same 1 meg file on my system and it stalled. I don't know if this means my network is the issue or if there is an issue with my server.  All I know is I need to speed things up, or figure something else out as this is not working :(

conrado

• Administrator
  • Conrado
    • View Profile
    • Feng Office
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2009, 05:28:07 pm »
About Feng Office
Feng Office is a company founded by core OpenGoo developers to provide services for business that require support and additional professional services. OpenGoo is now officially sponsored and developed by Feng Office.

In addition to development, Feng Office provides an OpenGoo hosting service.

About File Uploads
As far as my knowledge goes, file upload using HTML is not as efficient (fast) as FTP and other more specialized protocols. So probably having a bridge to allow you to do an upload "on the side", and then import it to OpenGoo might be a good addition.

But, in a way, this is already implemented...

One trick I use is, whenever I want to upload a big file (I call 5MB-sized "big files"), I send it through e-mail (Disclosure: I still make some use of Thunderbird  :) ). I then classify that e-mail on the WS where I want the file to be. That uploads the attachment there, and I don't have to wait for the upload.

Maybe that helps?

Deuces

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2009, 05:55:52 pm »
Another question,  is it possible to change the  file upload limit (default is 10MB) so that my users can upload larger .zip files (we're currently building a knowledge database, and the initial uploads will be substantial) - how can I do this?

Pet

• Global Moderator
  • Always mining for solutions!
    • View Profile
    • The Bet!
« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2009, 08:24:22 pm »
Another question,  is it possible to change the  file upload limit (default is 10MB) so that my users can upload larger .zip files (we're currently building a knowledge database, and the initial uploads will be substantial) - how can I do this?

In your opengoo root folder, edit php.ini
Support OpenGoo - Sponsor a Feature! | Follow me on Twitter | OG Support Chat | Did you turn debugging on?

flo2

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2009, 10:33:34 pm »
A flash-based batch uploader (like Wordpress has) would also be nice.

koko

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2009, 04:04:09 am »
+1 for that!