Author Topic: A few questions. (I am a newbie to OpenGoo)  (Read 3097 times)

Screemer

• View Profile
A few questions. (I am a newbie to OpenGoo)
« on: November 13, 2008, 06:32:28 am »
Hi, i really like how this seem to work.
I haven't tried to install it yet but I will (I hope  :D)

But now to my questions..

1. Is this working as a stand alone website or can it be integrated in other websites? For instance, I have a joomla site and want to have a working office suite for my users.. Is anyone working on a joomla integration for this?

2. When will spreadsheets be supported? And will it allow import of openoffice and msoffice 2003 and 2007 sreadsheets?

3. Does OpenGoo have built in versioning and backup functions?

4. Will this project stay 100% free to use for non profit sites?

5. Will admins be able to restrict what components and documents users and public can see.

6. Will it be possible to use joomlas userdatabase in OpenGoo?

Allot of questions but I think they are fair and I guess many will find the answers rewarding if there are any..:)

Keep it up guys, I really love what you've done so far..

ignacio

• View Profile
Re: A few questions. (I am a newbie to OpenGoo)
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2008, 09:13:28 am »
1. Is this working as a stand alone website or can it be integrated in other websites? For instance, I have a joomla site and want to have a working office suite for my users.. Is anyone working on a joomla integration for this?

It works as a stand alone website. Integrating a login page that takes you to OpenGoo wouldn't be too hard though.

2. When will spreadsheets be supported? And will it allow import of openoffice and msoffice 2003 and 2007 sreadsheets?

A first version will be out soon, maybe in a couple o weeks, in the next beta version. I know that it will support exporting to office formats, but I don't know whether it will support importing.

3. Does OpenGoo have built in versioning and backup functions?

It has built in versioning. When you save a file or document a new version is saved. You can later go back to a previous version. It doesn't resolve conflicts for the moment. When two users update the file at the same time only one of the revisions will be the final one, and the other one will be hidden. You can chekout documents so that other users aren't allowed to make modifications until you check it back in.

4. Will this project stay 100% free to use for non profit sites?

OpenGoo is free for everyone. It is licensed under GPL3 so anyone can use it for free. The most important condition that you have to satisfy is that if you make modifications to the source code you have to release those modifications under the same license. Check the details of the GPL3 license here: http://gplv3.fsf.org/

5. Will admins be able to restrict what components and documents users and public can see.

Not for the moment, but it is planned to support that in the near future.

6. Will it be possible to use joomlas userdatabase in OpenGoo?

You ned to make modifications to OpenGoo's source code in order to achieve that.