Author Topic: Categorisation of links to objects  (Read 2398 times)

ylavi

• Freshman
    • View Profile
Categorisation of links to objects
« on: August 24, 2010, 06:12:04 pm »
One of the things which brought FengOffice to my attention was the "Link Objects" function which allows us to link objects of different types or the same type to one another.

This sort of general linking seems to me to be intrinsic to a PIM-type application and I always wonder why most PIM programs don't have it. Many allow you to link some types of objects to other specific types but not flexibly like FengOffice permits.

However in FengOffice there's still a piece missing. The ability to define the type of the relationship.

It was a fundamental part of an old WordPerfect application called InfoCentral. An InfoCentral fan writes over here about useful it was: http://www.macros.koenecke.us/InfoCentral/whyic.html. It's true that InfoCentral allowed all sorts of objects to be created by the user as part of using the application and FengOffice doesn't but in any case being able to indicate what relationship a linked contact has to a task could be very helpful. It could be even more helpful when linking contacts to contacts, for instance to indicate that contact Y is the sister of contact X - because there could also be contact Z who is X's former boss and without the types you have no easy way of seeing why either of them are connected to X.

Sometimes it will be enough to have a neutral link but other times an explanation would help. The user could be allowed to define any number of relationship types which are appropriate for a given pair of object types. For instance contact<->contact would have different relationship options to contact<->company and contact<->event or company<->task or event<->task. Each relationship should have two definitions, depending on direction, so that when displayed from the far side of the link the appropriate inverse relationship would appear, for instance if Y is the "parent of" X, X would appear as "child of" Y.

I believe this would add a lot of value without so much overhead as it could be completely optional to use.

cabeza

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Feng Office
Re: Categorisation of links to objects
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2010, 02:02:43 pm »
It is an interesting idea.

When we evaluated, we decided to develop it this way to keep the interface simpler.