Author Topic: "compiled" documents  (Read 7674 times)

johanneswilm

• View Profile
    • Email
"compiled" documents
« on: December 13, 2008, 11:39:01 pm »
Hey,
I've tried to help out with latexlab.org for a while. But basically that's a lot of unneeded extra work. Opengoo already has most of the stuff we need.

For Latex, and I imagine for a whole lot of other document systems that work with any kind of compilation, what is basically needed is a text window to edit a simple text file (maybe with some javascript for some fancy markup). The file is preferably stored in the database. But when the user pushes a button to download a PDF, the file must be copied to the file system, along with the other text files marked as Latex-source in the same workgroup, and the document has to be compiled and the end-product, the PDF-file, has to be pushed to the user.

I imagine that once you guys want to integrate such features as Word- or PDF-download, you'll run into that same problem (having to copy it to the file system to then run some "compiler" over it, like HTML2DOC).

So I wonder, given that you'll solve that anyways, if it would be so much harder to just write a plugin for Opengoo for Latex using all the hooks you're creating anyways.

What do you say? Does that sound completely unrealistic?

I've also looked into the current Latex cutting edge development version, and it shouldn't be completely impossible to get the compiler to access a MySQL database directly. However, that will still be years into the future.

ignacio

• View Profile
Re: "compiled" documents
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2008, 10:19:21 am »
We are currently working on improving email and some other features but we are not focusing on documents for the moment. However, I find this approach very interesting and so we will consider it when we start focusing on improving document management.

Thanks for your post!

johanneswilm

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2008, 10:36:49 am »
Yes, well I was really just asking how the process is for creating PDF/Word-files of text-documents. This is a planned feature on your part, right?

Does it happen to be that you check out the document from the database, save it on disk, run some conversion-program like html2pdf on it, then sere the output to the user?

Because if it does, then it should be fairly simple for me to write the Latex-extension. Once you have a plugin-structure working, I can release as a plugin rather than a patch.

ignacio

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2008, 01:21:00 pm »
Currently we don't have a mechanism to export documents to PDF. If we had it would probably be like you said, use some tool to generate a PDF from HTML. But when we implement it we'll look at alternatives. If you want we could contact you when we are working on this.

johanneswilm

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2008, 03:24:45 pm »
That would be cool. You have my email right? j [ätt] indymedia <dot> no

rportinga

• View Profile
    • Bauer Bros. Construction, Inc.
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2008, 11:58:02 am »