Author Topic: 2008 - Ideas for the future of OpenGoo  (Read 31535 times)

ignacio

• View Profile
Re: 2008 - Ideas for the future of OpenGoo
« Reply #15 on: August 22, 2008, 01:29:37 pm »
Yes, we would love to integrate it into OpenGoo. Next release is scheduled for tuesday so I don't think we can make it for that release, but definitely for the following one. You can email me the modifications to ignacio.desoto@gmail.com, along with any explanation that you think would help me to integrate the code :).

Thank you for your hard work.

nemesi

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 22, 2008, 07:16:57 pm »
i'll do it soon ignacio ... thanks! 
;D

tokolito

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 24, 2008, 05:27:12 am »
What do you think about skype notifications on new events.

It would be nice to subscribe to special events in workspaces and then autom. be notified by skype when something changes. So you will allways be informed and must not login to OGOO and check status on projects manually.

P.S.:
Ebay does this (skype notification) when an auction is about to end.

rportinga

• View Profile
    • Bauer Bros. Construction, Inc.
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: November 24, 2008, 10:32:02 am »
What do you think about skype notifications on new events.

It would be nice to subscribe to special events in workspaces and then autom. be notified by skype when something changes. So you will allways be informed and must not login to OGOO and check status on projects manually.

P.S.:
Ebay does this (skype notification) when an auction is about to end.

Not to dis skype, cause I do use it, but maybe a better alternative (at least to start) is XMPP notification to send notices to gtalk and other jabber accounts?
Rob Portinga
Bauer Bros. Construction, Inc.

man2004

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 24, 2008, 01:04:13 pm »
How about adding workflow mechanism for document distribution and approval?

gylf

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 26, 2008, 03:35:28 pm »
Some great ideas in this thread.  My word of warning: beware of feature creep!  Before a feature is added ask:

1) can it be done just as effectively outside of opengoo?

Chat, for instance, I question as a new feature because I think so many really good instant messaging programs exist it might be redundant to add it.

2) if not, is there already an existing project which can be accessed via some API?

3) if not, is there already an open source project which can be integrated?

Skype integration is an excellent example of #2.  Why re-invent the wheel?  Also, the more integrated code is, the harder it is to roll in updates.  If the API integration gives all the necessary functionality, it seems like that ought to be preferred.

Of course, the question is at least as important as the answer.  For instance, is "issue tracking" really necessary as a whole separate feature in the first place, or would a simple modification of the existing task module work?  Is a "user forum" really necessary when we can already use notes w/ threaded comments?

rportinga

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: November 26, 2008, 03:52:57 pm »
I pretty much agree with what you said glyf, but I'm not sure folks were asking for Skype "integration" as much as "interaction", which yea, fist your point number 2.

I can already use skype to dial a phone number I see on any web page, but getting certain alerts via IM either in Skype or via xmpp would be nice... Skype should be doable via an API (is there one for Skype), xmpp should be very doable.

As for #3, check out FlashChat - they have done a very good job at making their chat program easy to integrate with just about anything out that has a userbase, from forums to CMS to whatever. And actually, it would be very easy for an OpenGoo user to add FlashChat on their site and have a chat system where uses log in using their OpenGoo un/pw.

While FC isn't exactly FOSS, it does only cost $5 for a site license.
Rob Portinga

martino87r

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: December 07, 2008, 04:49:34 pm »
I'm little disappointed on effort energies and promoting a Proprietary solution (like Skype)... Instead why not implement integration with Open VoIP solutions? like Asterix...

rportinga

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: December 09, 2008, 04:21:33 pm »
I'm little disappointed on effort energies and promoting a Proprietary solution (like Skype)... Instead why not implement integration with Open VoIP solutions? like Asterix...

Why not both?

If supporting business users is a possible means of supporting OpenGoo, programs that have the largest market penetration, like Skype, can't be ignored just because it is not open-source.

A program like Pidgin would not see the usage it does if it ignored everything but XMPP.

Rob Portinga

martino87r

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: December 09, 2008, 11:11:21 pm »
Well... if every software developer will promote commercial solutions, of course that the company that own the patents will get more and more money from it...

If OpenGoo will be used by a lot of users, they just stay with the known solution (like Skype) this can be an opportunity to promote much better (personal opinion) and inexpensive technologies, like VoIP...
A groupware that actually push on Open Standards (this need to be the philosophy) instead of giving market to proprietary solutions in my opinion is a good OPEN groupware... Want support for Skype? Pay and get support for it... Like OpenExhange... Want to use Outlook (by MS) pay for the connector, but if you use Open source Mail client you don't need to spend money ;)

noorbeast

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 10, 2008, 02:46:54 am »
In terms of integrated communication I would suggest looking at something like Openfire/Sparkweb: http://www.igniterealtime.org/

This can cover multi protocol chat, and also help and collaborative chat, as well as VOIP. I already have it setup in an extra panel in opengoo, though I do have some issues with Sparkweb (msn works fine, irc does not). The help chat works fine, you can define multiple help areas and those individuals/groups assigned to answer questions. But if I try and add the help code to the help panel I get an error about defining buttons. Anyone know where that may be done?

I have not tried it yet, but the other interesting collaboration tool that can also link into such a mix, via the Red5 plugin, is openmeetings: http://code.google.com/p/openmeetings/

In my view it would be nice to have such an integrated communication framework in opengoo, but would agree with the previous comments about feature creep. Hence, get the basics in place, such as email, then consider what is next.

You need to log in to access the screenshot.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2008, 10:46:21 am by noorbeast »

noorbeast

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 10, 2008, 10:03:31 am »
Live help request, as per above. You need to log in to access the screenshot.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2008, 10:47:41 am by noorbeast »

noorbeast

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 10, 2008, 10:20:35 am »
Live help chat with spark & opengoo. You need to log in to access the screenshot.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2008, 10:47:58 am by noorbeast »

Karl

• ICQ Messenger - 464979879
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 10, 2009, 06:09:36 am »
5.   Microsoft Office Plug-in – A plug-in that is similar to the one Microsoft Office Live Workspaces provides must be developed. It will enable the possibility to open and save documents in OpenGoo within Microsoft Office’s applications. Microsoft Office plug-ins knowledge is required.

How about a OpenOffice.org plugin?

chrisdo

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 11, 2009, 04:14:45 pm »
5.   Microsoft Office Plug-in – A plug-in that is similar to the one Microsoft Office Live Workspaces provides must be developed. It will enable the possibility to open and save documents in OpenGoo within Microsoft Office’s applications. Microsoft Office plug-ins knowledge is required.

How about a OpenOffice.org plugin?

Or what about the solution with WebDAV, so everything (Microsoft Office or OpenOffice) should work.