Author Topic: Archive workspace  (Read 17013 times)

atdiehm

• View Profile
Archive workspace
« on: February 05, 2009, 03:51:25 pm »
As mentioned by a number of other forum users, as a web development company, we manage clients by workspaces.

Some clients have subworkspaces as well ( multiple projects for clients / etc. )

The ability to 'archive' a workspace to where it is not listed on the left, and comes out of any calendars would be a very welcome addition. 

We currently have over 30 workspaces open, and it gets to be cumbersome. 

Thoughts?

Thanks!

Adam

ignacio

• View Profile
Re: Archive workspace
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2009, 09:05:49 am »
Yes, we are requested this often, and we find the need for this too on our daily use, so we will probably schedule it for 1.4.

Thanks.

atdiehm

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2009, 01:25:31 pm »
I assume from your comment that the to-do for 1.3 is complete.  Is that one the site somewhere?

Adam

ignacio

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2009, 11:10:30 am »
It isn't publicly available yet, not because we don't want to share it but because we haven't defined how to share it. We'll soon have to improve how we gather feature requests and bug reports from the community, maybe by using some of the many tools available for this purpose, so when we do that the roadmap should be publicly available.

Though, even if we had a roadmap available, it would be no guarantee of the features making it to the release. It has happened to us before that we had to leave some features out of a release.

conrado

• Administrator
  • Conrado
    • View Profile
    • Feng Office
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2009, 11:05:32 pm »
It isn't publicly available yet, not because we don't want to share it but because we haven't defined how to share it. We'll soon have to improve how we gather feature requests and bug reports from the community, maybe by using some of the many tools available for this purpose, so when we do that the roadmap should be publicly available.

Though, even if we had a roadmap available, it would be no guarantee of the features making it to the release. It has happened to us before that we had to leave some features out of a release.

This is a tough issue. I am less inclined than Ignacio to publish roadmaps. Truth is we draft roadmaps all the time, and change them almost daily. Even if we explicitly explain we are not making promises, roadmaps feel like promises. And broken promises feel bad.

One thing we did promise, and we'll stick to that: We'll get more predictable.  :)
Get Official Support for your Feng Office. Support the development team. Sign up for a Free Trial here.

conrado

• Administrator
  • Conrado
    • View Profile
    • Feng Office
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2009, 11:08:02 pm »
We currently have over 30 workspaces open, and it gets to be cumbersome. 

30 WSs with respective sub-WSs??

Wow! Congrats on all that work!  :D

After passing 15 WSs on the same level, you should probably (need to) find categories for grouping that.
Get Official Support for your Feng Office. Support the development team. Sign up for a Free Trial here.

atdiehm

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2009, 08:12:54 pm »
Well, hard to place clients into categories.... the main thing is that a client may only be open for 3-4 weeks ( time to develop the website) and then the best would be the archive ability from the point of this thread.  At any time we only have the need for about a dozen open workspaces since most clients start/finish and do not need open workspaces until site modifications are requested.

Don't get it twisted either, I need more work ;-)

Adam

conrado

• Administrator
  • Conrado
    • View Profile
    • Feng Office
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2009, 08:58:02 am »
Until we have the 'archiving' feature, we have a WS we named 'z_archived' (the 'z' being the trick to have it at the bottom).

Ugly hack, but doing the trick for now.  :P

PMing you about the work topic.

Karl

• ICQ Messenger - 464979879
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2009, 06:12:01 am »
…we have a WS we named 'z_archived' (the 'z' being the trick to have it at the bottom).

Ugly hack, but doing the trick for now.  :P

That's the trick I use to have some workspaces always placed at the bottom.

curtismchale

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2009, 02:39:51 pm »
the problem with the z_archive work around is that all of the milestones show up as options when creating a task. In theory Archiving a project would remove all of those items from the list.

Pet

• Global Moderator
  • Always mining for solutions!
    • View Profile
    • The Bet!
« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2009, 08:01:57 pm »
ohai curtis!

I'm coming to need this feature as well so I'm posting my support of it.
Support OpenGoo - Sponsor a Feature! | Follow me on Twitter | OG Support Chat | Did you turn debugging on?

koko

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2009, 01:07:19 pm »
I also want to support the proposal!

Arthur Mullard

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2009, 08:13:17 pm »
me too... we have the same problem

max

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2009, 05:16:02 pm »
yep, archived projects should
* no longer appear in the milestones  dropboxes
* be no longer editable (optionally)?
* no longer export to iCal
* their objects should not appear in their parent workspaces (e.g. don't show their events in my full-calendar anymore)

phew. Is this another "to-sponsor" request already?

neuron

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2009, 03:25:22 am »
I currently solve this by having two major categories, one called Active and one called Ended, it's not as clean as an archive system would be, but it sortof works.